Saturday, January 17

When I Survey the Wondrous Cross

See, from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down;
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?


Are there any more beautiful words found in a hymn than these from Isaac Watts in "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross"? For at least 20 years, this song has been my favorite, mostly because of the powerful image these words create.

Christ's atonement has long been a fascination of mine, drawing me like nothing else can. It began when I was only 5 years old--a little girl, standing on the back pew of small church in rural Idaho, listening (believe it or not!) to the sermon. I don't remember the words of the sermon, but somewhere within it was an explanation of Christ's death on the cross and what it accomplished. In my mind there came an image of my Saviour on the cross, suffering for me, and at that instant I knew, "I need that! I want that!"

That is why I love this hymn. When I hear those words I see that same glorious picture: my Saviour on the cross, with the sorrow that comes from enduring God's wrath and love for the sinner written together on His face; sorrow and love joined in the droplets of His blood. It is this image that came with the power to convert me from a child of wrath to a child of God.

Love so amazing, so divine, Demands my soul, my life, my all.
|