Friday, April 16

Down by the Riverside

I suppose if you've never been here, you might think we have the worst weather in the world in the north, but that's really not right. I think we have more perfect weather than just about anywhere I've been. Of course, if you think the phrase "perfect winter day" is oxymoronic, you probably wouldn't agree with me.

Today was the best sort of spring day--bright, warm, with a light breeze.



The ice is melting from the sides of the river. (It never really freezes over completely in town because the water runs too fast.) Yesterday when we--the dog and I--were walking, I heard what sounded like a bomb going off, but it was just a large ice shelf breaking off from the shore and crashing into the river.



Any day now, the kayakers will be back testing their skills in their kayak amusement park, and we will stop and sit on the bench for a while to watch them negotiate their little rapids.




You visit the earth and water it,
You greatly enrich it;
The river of God is full of water;

Psalm 65:9a

|