Monday, October 11

Come, Ye Thankful People, Come

God, our Maker, doth provide....


These are the ingredients to our Thanksgiving dinner that we either hunted, gathered, or grew in the garden. Starting at the carrots and moving clockwise:
  • Carrots. We had those raw on a vegie tray. We still have a few left in the garden that we are eating fresh. I've also frozen a few cut on the slant for use in stirfries.

  • Potatoes. I tried to use at least one potato of every variety that we grew. We had them cooked in what some people call potato filling--mashed potatoes beaten with egg and garlic and then baked in the oven.

  • Brussel sprouts. We still are harvesting those as well. My sons are not cooked vegetable fans, but they do like cooked brussel sprouts with a little butter on top.

  • Wild cranberries. We have wild cranberries in the bush all around our house, and I pick them every fall. We had those in cranberry muffins.

  • Breast o' grouse. My youngest son shot this grouse with his pellet gun when the guys were out 4-by-4-ing in the landcruiser yesterday afternoon. I roasted this alongside the turkey for about an hour. Very dark, rich, and tasty.
|