Wednesday, December 1

Round the Sphere Again

This is one of the most interesting things I've seen in a while. Check it out and see if you don't think so, too. Fallible and her lovely husband Marginal (a new blog), are both writing essays with the same quote as a take off point. Here's how Fallible describes what they're doing:
Our idea is to start our respective entries with the same quote, then to be surprised and delighted by the vast discrepancies in the way our minds work.

We're not going to talk about the quote before we write, and we'll only see each other's entries after they're written.

It should be a fun look at how even two people who think alike on almost nothing can enjoy a happy long-term marriage.
Here's the chosen quote for their first try at this:
"Sometimes when you think you are done, it is just the edge of beginning."
Natalie Goldberg, Writing Down the Bones
Here's Fallible's essay and here's Marginal's.

Tim at Challies.com has started a series on translating the Bible and translations of the Bible. Here's Part 1 and Part 2.

Jollyblogger, who is working his way through the five point of Calvinism, has posted on limited atonement. I agree with his take on it, and was pleased to see that he quoted extensively from my favorite defense of the doctrine, the one from Charles Hodge. I have to admit that one of the reasons that I haven't posted in this blog much on limited atonement (or in my preferred terminology--definite atonement) is that when I describe how I hold the doctrine, there are those who will say that that's not really limited atonement since it isn't "Christ died for the elect, full stop, end of story", and I haven't really felt like getting into it again in order to defend my viewpoint as the historical view of definite atonement. So it's nice to read someone else laying out a viewpoint similar to mine.

But enough of what I think. Go see what you think.
|