Friday, April 21

Round the Sphere Again

This week's Christian Carnival is posted over at Attention Span. Guess what? I actually got my act together and entered this week, and I intend to do that more often.

Other good reading:
  • Fellow Yukoner and friend Scott Gilbreath has an excellent post on Christianity and politics. When you've finished reading, why not do as he suggests and contact your elected representative about the genocide in Darfur?
    I don't think it's very far-fetched to believe that this is something Jesus wants his people to do. Nor, therefore, would it be far-fetched to believe that Jesus would be pleased if some politicians - or political parties - took up the cause of alleviating suffering in Darfur.
    For Canadians, here's a handy little form for finding contact info for your very own Member of Parliament by typing in your postal code.

  • Tim Challies has posted on the benefits of catechisms.
    There is no substitute for investing in children when they are still young. The catechisms that have survived to this day and have stood the test of time are worth knowing. They are worth teaching to our children. They are worth teaching to ourselves.
    I assume you already know that I love the catechisms!

  • Scott McClare gives us a bit of his personal history with the KJV-only cult, along with the reasons he thinks they are getting more and more irrational over time. And yes, cult is exactly the right word to use for the sort of rabid KJV-onlyism he's talking about.
In Bible study news:

Eric Svendsen is back blogging at Real Clear Theology Blog. His
focus going forward will be on the exegetical teaching of the New Testament. In fact, the series will be titled New Testament Reflections, and each sub-series will be an exegetical look at a particular book of the New Testament. Stay tuned for the first of these, Reflections on Philippians.
He promises that the series on Philippians will start next week. Meanwhile, he has posted some foundational steps you can take to make the most of Bible study. This is pretty close to my own Bible study method, except I also like to find out how key words are used, especially by the author of the book being studied. (I recently found some of my own old interpretive paraphrases of Philippians, and I may post them, along with my notes giving my reasons for my paraphrase choices, just for fun.)

Browser suggestion:

Don't tell me you're still using Internet Explorer? I know you are because I see you on my Sitemeter! Why not download Firefox and view the webworld as it really is?

On the lighter side:

How's this for an innovative Yukon business venture?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,
|