Thursday, November 25

Confirming the Stereotype

I just couldn't pass this by without comment:
Blonde jokes are set to be banned in Hungary after blonde women staged an angry protest outside parliament.

The protestors handed in a petition claiming they were being discriminated against in every walk of life by bad taste blonde jokes....

The petition was handed to the equal opportunities minister Kinga Goncz asking her to investigate whether jokes about blondes fall into the same category as religious discrimination.
Maybe I'm just too ditzy to know better, but I enjoy the jokes as long they're not pure gutter material. Sometimes I tell them myself.

I've always thought people who are really intelligent go for the simplest solutions to life's difficult problems. Like dying one's hair brown and wearing librarian spectacles. That's a whole lot easier than getting parliament to pass a law, isn't it?

But hey! I'm really not sure it's much of a problem in the first place. Having people assume you're stupid has one big advantage--you can always catch them off-guard.

[Link from Hal.]

[Update: William Meisheid has added a couple of blonde jokes in the comments. Read them and feel free to add your own. They may be banned in Hungary, but they're welcomed here. (I'm sure that this caution note isn't necessary, but I'll add it anyway: No naughty ones!)]
|