Sunday, May 8

Sunday's Hymn: Reader's Choice

Today's hymn was written by Plymouth Brethren poet Samuel Francis:
O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus
O the deep, deep love of Jesus, vast, unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean in its fullness over me!
Underneath me, all around me, is the current of Thy love
Leading onward, leading homeward to Thy glorious rest above!

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, spread His praise from shore to shore!
How He loveth, ever loveth, changeth never, nevermore!
How He watches o'er His loved ones, died to call them all His own;
How for them He intercedeth, watcheth o'er them from the throne!

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, love of every love the best!
'Tis an ocean full of blessing, 'tis a haven giving rest!
O the deep, deep love of Jesus, 'tis a heaven of heavens to me;
And it lifts me up to glory, for it lifts me up to Thee!

This is the third hymn in our series of reader chosen hymns. This one is one of Suzannes's favorites.
How can one not be drawn to a hymn which starts with such a wonderful line? Yes, one of my favourites (and I have many) is "O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus". It was sung a lot in my church when I was growing up and I never tired of hearing its profound yet comforting lyrics.

I love the fact that the music is not upbeat, but serious and a little mournful, reminding us when we sing it just how great a sacrifice that love made for us.

I think we need to be singing more hymns like this in our churches today! We all need a little humbling and awing in our worship time.

Are you unfamiliar with this hymn? You can listen to the melody here.

Do you have a favorite hymn you'd like to see featured here some Sunday? Add it to the list, and when your turn comes, it'll be here.
|