Saturday, May 28

Sunday's Hymn: Reader's Choice

This hymn is Kim's favorite. The words come from way, way back in the eighth century and were originally in ancient Irish attributed to Dallan Forgaill. We didn't have this hymn written in the form we're all familiar with until the 20th century: Mary Byrne translated the words in 1905 and Eleanor H. Hull put them in verse form a few years later.

Be Thou My Vision

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul's Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven's joys, O bright Heaven's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

Listen to a choir and soloist sing this hymn here, courtesy of Songs of Praise.

Get your favorite hymn on the list to be featured by adding it here.
|