A Little Word Play II
More fun and games for word-nerds.
- Check out ClicheSite.com, the authority by which I found myself on the losing end of an argument over whether dumber than a bag of nails really is a bona fide cliche. It is. So, by the way, is dumber than a box of rocks.
This site also features a Cliche of the Day. The cliche for Tuesday, July 11, 2006 is from day one, which, for those of you who are DTABOH, means "from the beginning."
- Do you need to decipher an acronym? Look it up at The Acronym Finder, where I learned that DTABOH stands for dumber than a bag of hammers.
- And of course, every word-nerd who is not a few sandwiches short of a picnic wants to know the stories behind the words they use. The best online place to do that is The Online Entmology Dictionary, where you can learn all sorts of interesting thing. Did you know, for instance, that the word dumbfound is put together from dumb and confound? I stole this link from the comments at The Upward Call.
- The first Word Play post inspired Hal to try his hand at refrigerator poetry. The results? Delicious Blue Color, Remember Me and, and Woman is a hot needle.
- In the need-to-know category: Kim of The Upward Call has a couple of posts helping us sort out the finer points in the proper usage of the all those lovely labels in the nerd/geek/dweeb family.
Technorati Tags: words
, refrigerator poetry