Sunday's Hymn: John Newton
Once an infidel and libertine
A servant of slaves in Africa,
Was, by the rich mercy of our Lord and Saviour
restored, pardoned, and appointed to preach
the Gospel which he had long laboured to destroy.
Near sixteen years in Olney, in Bucks,
And twenty-eight years in this Church.
Christ, A Redeemer and Friend---Music by Lowell Mason (Listen.)
Poor, weak and worthless though I am
I have a rich almighty Friend;
Jesus, the Savior, is His Name;
He freely loves, and without end.
He ransomed me from hell with blood,
And by His power my foes controlled;
He found me wandering far from God,
And brought me to His chosen fold.
He cheers my heart, my wants supplies,
And says that I shall shortly be,
Enthroned with Him above the skies;
O what a Friend is Christ to me!
But, ah! my inmost spirit mourns;
And well my eyes with tears may swim,
To think of my perverse returns:
I’ve been a faithless friend to Him.
Often my gracious Friend I grieve,
Neglect, distrust, and disobey;
And often Satan’s lies believe
Sooner than all my Friend can say.
He bids me always freely come,
And promises whate’er I ask:
But I am straitened, cold and dumb,
And count my privilege a task
Before the world that hates His course,Sure, were I not most vile and base,
My treach’rous heart has throbbed with shame;
Loath to forego the worlds applause,
I hardly dare avow His Name.
I could not thus my Friend requite!
And were not He the God of grace,
He’d frown and spurn me from His sight.
Other hymns, worship songs, etc. posted today:
- Jesus My Glory from the Valley of Vision at The Thirsty Theologian
- The Sands of Time are Sinking at John Dekker's Journal
- Hark My Soul, It Is The Lord at Seasonings
- Rock of Ages at Ian's Messy Desk
- We Praise Thee, O God, Our Redeemer, Creator at Unity Without Verity
- Thy Mercy, My God at New Lumps
- Jesus, Everlasting King at Jam and Books
- Wisdom at Chez Kneel
- The Collect for the Twenty-First Sunday After Trinity at Magic Statistics
Technorati Tags: hymns, hymn lyrics