Tuesday, November 29

What is God?

God is a Spirit,[1] in and of himself infinite in being,[2] glory,[3] blessedness,[4] and perfection;[5] all-sufficient,[6] eternal,[7] unchangeable,[8] incomprehensible,[9] everywhere present,[10] almighty,[11] knowing all things,[12] most wise,[13] most holy,[14] most just,[15] most merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth.[16]
  1. John 4:24:
    God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

  2. Exod. 3:14:
    God said to Moses, “I am who I am.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I am has sent me to you,’”

    Job 11:7-9:
    Can you find out the deep things of God?
    Can you find out the limit of the Almighty?
    It is higher than heaven - what can you do?
    Deeper than Sheol - what can you know?
    Its measure is longer than the earth
    and broader than the sea.

  3. Acts 7:2
    And Stephen said:
    "Brothers and fathers, hear me. The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia, before he lived in Haran..."

  4. I Tim. 6:15
    ...which he will display at the proper time - he who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords...

  5. Matt. 5:48
    You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

  6. Gen. 17:1
    When Abram was ninety-nine years old the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, "I am God Almighty; walk before me, and be blameless..."

  7. Psa. 90:2
    Before the mountains were brought forth,
    or ever you had formed the earth and the world,
    from everlasting to everlasting you are God.

  8. Mal. 3:6
    For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed.
    James 1:17
    Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

  9. I Kings 8:27
    But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain you; how much less this house that I have built!

  10. Psa. 139:1-13
    O Lord , you have searched me and known me!
    You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
    you discern my thoughts from afar.
    You search out my path and my lying down
    and are acquainted with all my ways.
    Even before a word is on my tongue,
    behold, O Lord , you know it altogether.
    You hem me in, behind and before,
    and lay your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
    it is high; I cannot attain it.

    Where shall I go from your Spirit?
    Or where shall I flee from your presence?
    If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
    If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
    If I take the wings of the morning
    and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
    even there your hand shall lead me,
    and your right hand shall hold me.
    If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me,
    and the light about me be night,”
    even the darkness is not dark to you;
    the night is bright as the day,
    for darkness is as light with you.
    For you formed my inward parts;
    you knitted me together in my mother's womb.

  11. Rev. 4:8
    And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all around and within, and day and night they never cease to say,

    “Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty,
    who was and is and is to come!”

  12. Heb. 4:13
    And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.
    Psa 147:5
    Great is our Lord, and abundant in power;
    his understanding is beyond measure.

  13. Rom. 16:27
    to the only wise God be glory forevermore through Jesus Christ! Amen.

  14. Isa. 6:3
    And one called to another and said:

    “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts;
    the whole earth is full of his glory!”

    Rev. 15:4
    Who will not fear, O Lord,
    and glorify your name?
    For you alone are holy.
    All nations will come
    and worship you,
    for your righteous acts have been revealed.

  15. Deut. 32:4
    The Rock, his work is perfect,
    for all his ways are justice.
    A God of faithfulness and without iniquity,
    just and upright is he.

  16. Exod. 34:6
    The Lord passed before him and proclaimed, “The Lord, the Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness...


Question 7, Westminster Larger Catechism. Scripture quoted from the ESV.
|