Saturday, July 8

Yet More Yukon Gardening

Here's a closer look at vegies than you can get in the weekly picture of the whole garden. On the left you can see a few of my sixty-three potato plants. My neighbor's potatoes are twice that size, but I've got him beat on the brassicas--the broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and brussel sprout plants in the center of the picture. As you can see, there are bare spots in the brassicas. Up until the unfortunate hoeing accident yesterday, all the dead brassicas could be blamed on the dog.

On the right is a row of peas. They're getting big enough that they need me to get out there and put up the pea netting for them to climb up. Running horizontally across the bottom of the photo is a row of chickweed and onions. No, the chickweed is not supposed to be there, but I keep hoping if I ignore it, it'll go away.

What have we eaten out of the garden? Lots of rhurbarb, lots of radishes, a little spinach, a little romaine lettuce, and a few green onions.

In other Yukon gardening news: Sierra has photos of some of her garden and greenhouse vegies. Look at her tumbler tomatoes! The girl's got gorgeous flowers, too.

Technorati Tags: , ,
|