Sunday, July 9

Sunday's Hymn: Jesus Christ

This week I'm posting a hymn we sang in this morning's church service, one of many hymns of Fanny Crosby. It reminds us that our blessed assurance comes from resting in the perfect work of Christ.
Blessed Assurance

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

Refrain:
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Saviour all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Saviour all the day long.

Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels descending, bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.

Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Saviour am happy and blest;
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.
Here's a little of the background story of this hymn from sermonaudio.com's Online Hymnal:
One day Miss Crosby was in the home of her friend Mrs Joseph F. Knapp. In the Knapp home was installed what was believed to be the largest pipe organ ever placed in a private dwelling. However, on this particular day Mrs Knapp called her guest over to the piano to listen to a new melody she had just composed. After playing the tune a few times she asked, 'What do you think the tune says?'

"Blessed assurance Jesus is mine", answered Fanny Crosby, and then, drawing from her vast storehouse of Scripture knowledge, continued with

Oh what a foretaste of glory divine
Heir of salvation, purchase of God
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

In a very short time a new sacred song was born with words by Fanny Crosby and music by Mrs J. F. Knapp.
Listen and vote for your favorite rendition of Blessed Assurance:


Other hymn, songs, etc, posted this Sunday:
Have you posted a hymn or worship song this Sunday? Let me know in the comments and I'll add your post to the list, too. (Update: Thanks to those of you who are new participants in the Sunday Hymn round-up. I love to see the list growing week by week!)

Technorati Tags: ,
|