Sunday, March 11

Bookmark this Meme

Kim of Hiraeth has a new business venture, selling custom, handmade bookmarks featuring her beautiful calligraphy. She's introducing her new site with a meme—a book meme, of course.
  • Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback?
    I like hardback best (who doesn't?), but I read a lot of paperback. They cost less, and they're easier to get.
  • Online purchase or brick and mortar?
    Mostly online. The chance that the bookstore here in town is going to have the book I want in stock is pretty slim.
  • Barnes & Noble or Borders?
    Neither. If I shop in a store, it's at the used book store or Mac's Fireweed Books.
  • Bookmark or dog-ear?
    I use one of these.

  • Mark or not mark?
    I mark them up and doodle in them.
  • Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random?
    I put them on the shelves by subject or type of book (mostly), but I do make allowance for size, and when I have several books by one author I try to keep them together. In other words, I have my own weird system that I understand, but confuses everyone else.
  • Keep, throw away, or sell?
    I never throw away. If I know I'll never look at it again, I donate it or sell it at a garage sale. The rest, I keep.
  • Read with dustjacket or remove it?
    Read it with the dustjacket.
  • Collection (short stories by same author) or anthology (short stories by different authors)?
    I don't read short stories enough to have an opinion on this.
  • Lord of the Rings or Narnia
    Once again, I'm going to avoid answering. I like them both. They're different sorts of books, and they serve different purposes.
  • Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
    I stop reading whenever a crisis arises that requires my attention.
  • “It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
    "Once upon a time."
  • Buy or Borrow?
    Buy. If I borrowed it, I'd have to give it back.
  • New or used?
    Used, but in good condition, if I can find it.
  • Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse?
    All of the above.
  • Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
    Tidy ending. I hate cliffhangers and feel cheated if there is one.
  • Morning reading, afternoon reading or night time reading?
    Mostly night time, but also whenever I can sneak in a few minutes throughout the day. I love reading in the car while I wait to pick someone up, or reading while I wait for an appointment.
  • Standalone or series?
    Mostly standalone.
  • Favorite series?
    I really haven't read books in series since I was young. The Narnia books or the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, maybe.
  • Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
    I usually read classics, so at least some people have heard of them. They may not have read them, but they've heard of them.
  • Favorite books read last year?
    I read Knowing God again, and that's always a favorite.
  • Favorite book of all time?
    Nothing else compares to the Bible.

Labels: ,

|