Monday, July 17

My Yukon Garden: July 17




(Click for larger photo.)

What's up this week in the garden? You can see I've started another compost pile right down the middle in the spot leftover when I ran out of seed potatoes three plants too soon. Everything's a little bigger. The carrots (4th, 5th and 6th rows from the bottom) look smaller, but that's because I finally got around to weeding them. Without the chickweed, they look like less, but they're really more.

The radishes (bottom row, right half) are all gone but for a few wormy leftovers. We ate the last of them in our salad yesterday. There is lots of lettuce (three varieties) and spinach for salad greens, so we're eating lots of salad. Today I even gave a bag of greens away to a friend.

I need to pick the rhubarb. Last week I made a batch of strawberry rhubarb jam, and I'm planning to make another batch with this week's rhubarb.

Tomorrow I hope to stake the peas (vertical row, far right). I can't find pea netting anywhere, so I'll be improvising. Next week you can see what my improvised system looks like. I do have a plan, and it probably won't be pretty.

Other recent gardening related posts:

And a completely gratuitous photo of the lilies.



Previous weekly garden photos:
  1. June 5
  2. June 12
  3. June 19
  4. June 26
  5. July 3
  6. July 10
Technorati Tags: , , ,
|